Black Cat Radar Recorder USB Driver
Note: The steps below should be followed before connecting the Black Cat Radar Recorder to your computer.
1. Click the button to the right labeled Download Black Cat Radar Recorder USB Driver. This will download a zip file to your computer containing the Black Cat Radar Recorder USB Driver Program.
2. Unzip the file to a folder on your computer and locate the file 'Driver Install.exe.' Double click on this file.
DOWNLOAD BLACK CAT RADAR RECORDER USB DRIVER
3. You will see a message pop up that the driver installer program will try to copy the driver files to the directory it is running from. Click Install.
4. If the program has been successful, you will see a message that the driver should install okay when the Black Cat is connected.
5. To test the connection, make sure the battery is connected to the Black Cat Radar Recorder and then press the View button to ‘wake up’ the Black Cat. The Run/Veh light will be on when the unit is awake. Note that you must always ‘wake up’ the Black Cat before you connect when using the USB cable.
6. Once the Black Cat is awake, plug the USB cable into a standard USB port on your computer.
7. Plug the other end of the USB cable into the Mini USB port on the Black Cat. If the connection is successful the Link B LED will light on the Black Cat.
9. Once the Black Cat Radar Recorder Setup screen appears, you should see a port listed in the COM Port dropdown box at the top as ‘Black Cat Traffic Counter'. Click the Connect button.
8. Start the TRAXPro software on your laptop and select Setup Radar Recorder from the Tools & Preferences section of the Quick Start screen. You'll then see a screen showing the two models of Radar Recorders. Select the Black Cat Radar Recorder on the right.
10. TRAXPro will attempt to connect to the Black Cat Radar Recorder and, if successful, show the current status of the unit.
Black Cat Radar Recorder Firmware
Follow the steps below to update the firmware on your Black Cat Radar Recorder. Note that there are two types of firmware used with the Black Cat Radar - primary (main) and secondary (detector).
1. First check to see what is the current firmware in your Black Cat Radar. You can do this by connecting to the Black Cat Radar using the Setup Radar Recorder option in TRAXPro. Note that firmware updating should ONLY be done with a hardwire USB connection, NOT via Bluetooth.
Once connected via USB, the middle of the screen will show the primary and secondary firmware numbers, as shown below. Note that any units with 1.X version of secondary firmware MUST be returned to JAMAR for firmware upgrade.
Primary - 2.2.53
Secondary - 2.5.3
2. The current Black Cat Radar Recorder firmware is: Primary - 2.2.53, Secondary 2.5.3. If either of the firmware on your Black Cat is older than these, click on the button to the right labeled Download Black Cat Radar Recorder Firmware. This will download a zip file to your computer containing both firmware files.
3. Unzip the file to a folder on your computer and make note of the folder name and location. The primary firmware file will be named MAINAPP_2_2_53.FM while the secondary firmware file will be named CA_021_253.hex.
4. We recommend stopping any count in progress on the Black Cat Radar before updating any firmware.
5. To start the firmware update process, click the Upload File button on the Black Cat Setup screen. If updating both Primary and Secondary firmware, we recommend doing the Primary first.
DOWNLOAD BLACK CAT RADAR RECORDER FIRMWARE
6. In the File Open screen, navigate to the folder where you unzipped the files, select the MAINAPP_2_2_53.FM file and click Open. The Black Cat Setup screen will then change to show the status of the new firmware upload. Note that the upload process can take up to 15 minutes to complete.
7. Once the upload is complete, you'll see a message pop up letting you know the file has been uploaded and that the Black Cat Radar will need a few minutes to process it. Do not disconnect power to the Radar will this is happening. Click OK and TRAXPro will disconnect from the Radar
8. While the firmware is being processed by the Radar, the Eng light will be lit on the Black Cat Radar. This will then switch to both the Alarm and Run/Veh light being lit.
9. Disconnect the USB cable from the Radar, then press the View button. The Run/Veh light will be lit. Reconnect the USB cable and the Link B light will be lit. You are now ready to reconnect with TARXPro.
10. Reconnect to the Radar and the Setup Screen should now display the updated Primary firmware version.
11. Repeat steps 6 through 9 (substituting the CA_021_253.hex file for the MAINAPP_2_2_53.FM file) to update the Secondary firmware.